Friday, May 3, 2013

May 4 Psalms 122, 124, 133-136, 138 Temple Workers Reminded to Worship

Psalm 134 is an interesting little psalm. It hits me today as a reminder to the Temple workers to make sure that they take the time to individually worship God.

As a pastor, I can get so busy leading other people to worship that I don't make time to do my own worship. This is a common malady that is the root of moral failures, nervous breakdowns, etc. for pastors. I also see others active in the church that seem so busy serving, I often wonder if they ever worship themselves.

This is a Song of Ascents - a psalm sung by the pilgrims going "up" to Jerusalem (city is on a high plateau) for one of the three mandatory Jewish festivals - Passover/Unleavened Bread, Pentecost, and Tabernacles. For the Temple servants, these feasts would have been the busiest times of the year - like our Christmas and Easter. The pilgrims are singing their gathered worship leaders to take time themselves to worship.

In the same way, congregants in a church should always urge their leaders to make time for the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment