Monday, May 20, 2013

My 21 Various Proverbs - Biblical Communication

When I was in seminary, I had a project to work on improving some aspect of my walk with Christ. I chose (after the input of my wife) to work on talking better, mostly to lose my sarcasm. If you know me, you realize that this project was not entirely successful - still a work in progress - though much better - isn't that a scary thought. But anyways, one of the things I did was to read through proverbs and mark out every verse that had something to say about speech. In fact, proverbs has a lot to say about Biblical communication.

I suggest that everyone get a colored marking pen for Bibles and read proverbs through and mark off every verse for yourself. It is nice that the One Year Bible did this for us and listed everything together. Our tongues can heal and wound. We spend so much of our lives talking, I suggest doing today's reading several times. There is a lot of practical wisdom about our speech in today's reading.

I also recommend reading James. Have your marking pen with you as you read. Between James and proverbs, God uses to very different types of Biblical literature to get at our hearts. We are all better when we communicate Biblically.

No comments:

Post a Comment