Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 4-5 II Corinthians: Dependence on God

I am struck by Paul's dependence on God displayed in this letter.

v. 1:9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

People mistakenly say, "God will never give us more than we can handle." This is not true. God will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle, but sometimes our trials are overwhelming - on purpose  - to drive us to depend on God. Many of us are control freaks - we like to order our world and never have any hardship or risk. We are all about comfort and security - we rely on our own control and planning - not on God.

We are to depend on God for everything. When we trust God - He allows us to take risks for Him - and we don't crumble when we realize things are out of our control. We rely on His strength.

vv. 12:7-10 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

If you are going through some trials, are you making it worse by trying to control the uncontrollable? You are not sovereign - God is. He may be letting you go through your trials to show you who you really trust in - who you really depend on - YOU! My advice to you is simple:

  1. Know things are out of your control
  2. Trust/rely in God's strength.
  3. Know God loves you - and the people around you.
  4. Be faithful to His Word - OBEY!
    • Forgive
    • Love
    • Be humble
Or you can keep doing what you are doing - and how is it working for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment